Speedies: Theme 3

Next subject, next entry. It’s the first open theme at Speedies – model a cell phone. No particular model or type given.

This time I wanted to make something less time consuming than previous entries. I picked Voyage concept by MILE, it looked simple enough, but once I started working on it…🙂 Well, let’s just say it was much too long. I was busy with other stuff, so it took me over a month to finish. When I grabbed all videos (this time nothing got corrupted) and stitched it into one big file it turned out to be around 8 hours. Not that bad, quicker than T1, but it’s still rather cold comfort.

Anyway, you can find the 50x version on Vimeo. As you may see on the video I blew the lid hinge at the first try… Modeling from photo reference is not the most accurate work flow around, but that’s all I’ve managed to find about this great phone concept. Even the exact size is a mystery…

Wires:

st3_fin_01

st3_fin_02

st3_fin_03

st3_fin_04

Some facts:

  • Modeling time: ~7h 50m
  • Raw video size: ~30,5 Gb, 1680×945 in 26 parts
  • Speedies members were able to download x4 time lapse, 800×450 material in 8 parts
  • Compressed video size: 410 Mb
  • Polygons generated: 11 226 (11 194 quads)
  • Efficiency: ~23,6 polygons/minute (T2: ~~54 p/min ; T1: ~~50 p/min)

Dividing polygon number by modeling time is not the most accurate way to measure your modeling speed I guess, but it gives a general clue about your productivity. Judging on efficiency I think it could be done twice as fast… Why is that? Mainly it’s because I was so bored with this project, but there was also some customization going on. It could slow things down as I wasn’t accustomed to the new environment. Besides that, I had to redo whole lid part…

Sooo, since it’s such a modeling fail let’s leave it behind and move to the render section😉

I did this one just to test materials. It’s heavily based on a photo by Takumi Ota (you can find it on AU design page). Initially I wasn’t planing to include it here but it turned out quite nice, so…

st3_top_web

All these small details on gold material and keyboard are done with normal maps. They’re not perfect in every light condition but are much faster than displacement. I’m still learning how to create them well and how do they behave in Fry.

Oh, by the way if you’re from Japan ignore the keyboard, please😀 The reference photo was too small to trace all characters, so I placed some random stuff there 8)

This time I forgot to note the render time. It baked roughly over night in this resolution and it was so clear that I had to add slight noise to make it look more realistic. Sp2 is fast, but speed is not everything. There are other problems with this version but I’ll save it for the next post😈

Next one baked for 10 hours in 1440×1800 even though the scene was totally unoptimized… There’s a lot of wasted samples here. Again, I’ll try to write a quick tutorial about optimizing Fry scenes in next post.

st3_front_web

Cheers.

P.S Few days ago I got a mail from David Dopacio with a beautiful render of my chair model. I’ve included it in the original post. You can find it here. Thanks David!


About this entry